Python

Remove model drift using control run simulations

Recently, I’ve been trying to remove model drift from my high-resolution CCSM 20th century climate change simulation. The model drift is estimated using the two companion control runs, HRC08 and HRC09. All three runs were spun up from a similar initial condition, with CO2 held fixed in year 2000 level. Following Gupta et al., [2013]1, we tried to identify the model drift by fitting a cubic polynomial to the full record of control runs (nearly 70 years).

Fill in the missing data using Python pandas

One of the many advantages of Python is its abundant and often powerful Libraries. For my research, besides plotting maps, I often play with time series. When it comes to manipulating and plotting time series, no other tools can beat python pandas.

Gibbs SeaWater Oceanographic Package for Python

Recently, I’m looking into the Meridional Heat Transport across the 35$^{\circ}$S in our high-resolution CCSM simulation following Dong et al. 2011. To calculate the heat transport, the following formula is used:

\begin{equation} \int \rho C_{p}v\theta dx dz \end{equation}

The tricky part is whether one should use temporal and spatial-varying values of $C_{p}$ (seawater heat capacity) and $\rho$ (seawater density). Since density and heat capacity are not among the standard outputs, I went on looking for some standard libraries to calculate them using the fields I have: temperature, pressure, and salinity. Soon, I found the Python version of Gibbs SeaWater Oceanographic Package.

iPython notebook gallery

Sometimes I got emails requesting codes to plot certain things. Those inquiries remind me that I have an older version of my website on Wordpress.com still up and running. That was an answer to the requirement that every student in RSMAS should have their own websites back in 2014. To fill in the blanks, I listed out some of my python works in Ipython notebooks.

Renovate this place and new resolutions!

I’ve just spent the long weekend updating my nearly-abandoned website. This year, I have passed my qualifying exam (February), and the paper I’ve been working on for almost an year is now finally accepted. The website has been changed to a GitHub user-page, instead of a project-page. Also, now the website is automatically generated by Travis-CI, a very popular service recently, testing and deploying the codes to ensure portability. All the changes and new posts are made on my laptop.

Building a statistic blog with Pelican

Once upon a time… I spent a summer using Microsoft Frontpage to build a website, hosted by my highschool’s server. Then I also had my first experience with PHP, javascript, html, css, cgi (common gateway interface, I haven’t seen such things for a while!) However, some popular free-webpage services just kept popping out the years after, as “blog” became a everyday word. All of a sudden, a vibrant and powerful “blog”, usually implemented with guestbook and albums is just few clicks away.